8/21/09

Chia-Sesame Cracker

This was my very first recipe ever posted on gone raw. It was the first recipe I made in my dehydrator, too! I still make it almost weekly. It is a sweet way to include healthy chia seeds in your raw food diet.

This makes a light, crisp, sweet cracker.

Chia-Sesame Cracker

Ingredients:
1 cup chia seeds, unsoaked
1 cup unhulled brown sesame seeds, soaked 8 hours or overnight*
½ cup light agave, or date syrup
¼ cup water, or maple syrup(not raw)**

*Also yummy using 2/3 cup chia, 2/3 cup sesame and 2/3 cup hemp seeds:)

**For the liquid, I sometimes use 1/4cup water, 1/4cup agave, and 1/4cup maple syrup... as long as there is about 3/4cup total liquid, it's all good! I always include some maple syrup:) This is how I made the ones pictured above.

Preparation:
1. Mix all ingredients together.

2. Allow mixture to stand (stir a few times) for about an hour, or more, to thicken and all liquid has been absorbed. Don't skip this step:)

3. Roll out, covered with food wrap, 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch thick on parchment paper on mesh sheet. These will work on teflex sheets, but take much longer to dry.

4. Score into desired size crackers.

5. Dehydrate at 112 degrees for 18-20 hours till crisp, or as desired.

This recipe will make 1 excalibur sheet if rolled 1/4 inch thick, or two sheets if 1/8 inch thick. The crackers pictured were rolled to 1/4 inch since I only had one open sheet in my dehydrator at the time, but I prefer them 1/8 inch:)

Click here if you would like some helpful tips on making crackers.


I love these just as they are, but they are also wonderful with your favorite jam, or nut butter.

They will keep for several weeks in a glass jar.

Here is a link to a page by Angela Stokes with lots of info and 10 more recipes for chia!

Click here for chia nutrition facts.

2 comments:

Jozi Uncooked said...

Hi, love your site and especially this cracker. I added some lemon zest and it was like a raw flatbread version of a lemon poppyseed muffin.

evergreen said...

Hi! Thanks so much for letting me know you enjoy this cracker. I love the idea of adding lemon zest:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails