6/9/10

Raw Sprouted Oatmeal


Oh, my!

This ain't your Momma's oatmeal! (not that there is anything wrong with mom's oatmeal...hehe)

Raw Sprouted Maple Walnut Oatmeal

1/2 cup raw sprouted oats, measured after sprouting
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon dried currants
1 teaspoon grade B maple syrup, or sweetener of choice
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste

1.) Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and enjoy!

Of course, any fruit/nut combo would be delicious with these sprouted oats:) I even want to try a chocolate variation:) I love them because they are sweet and fresh tasting with a soft chewiness to them. Yum!

If you prefer a "mushier" texture, you can grind the sprouted oats in the food processor fitted with the "S" blade with a splash of nutmilk or water.

I will also dehydrate some sprouted oats and grind them into flour for use in cookies and other lovely treats.

Ummm...that uhhh...chocolate oatmeal sounded so good I had to make it!

Oats, cocoa powder, sliced almonds, cacao nibs, sweetener. Oh yeah!

To sprout the oats:

Soak them 8 hours or overnight in a jar of fresh water. I used about a cup and a half of oats and 4 cups of water in a sprouting jar.

Drain and rinse in fresh water 2-3 times daily for 2 or 3 days, until little tails form, about the length of the seed. I keep the jar slanted down in a dish drainer rack.

Drained, sprouted oats can be stored in the fridge for several days in a mason jar.

Here are a few pictures of the oats sprouting:)
Starting to sprout

Almost done

Cute lil tails:)

I was so happy to find truly raw, sproutable oats!

Sirova* is a growing online raw food supplier.
If some of you are not yet familiar with this wonderful company, check out their website, they even have recipes! When they were getting started, one of the owners, (and raw foodie blogger) Joanna, asked if there was anything we would want her store to carry. Right away I said really raw oats that will sprout. (You may know that most oats, like the ones in stores, are heat treated.) I was thrilled to see that Joanna found them!

*Since publishing this post, the Sirova company sadly no longer exists, but Sproutpeople is a great source for sproutable oats!

I ordered two packages along with some other raw goodies like cacao butter, gorgeous Brazil nuts, and something new, Sea Spaghetti:) Inside there was a packing slip with a beautiful handwritten note from Joanna and the Sirova team, thanking me for my order and telling me exactly how to soak the sea spaghetti. So sweet! Thank you Joanna:)


OK...I am off to enjoy the sunshine while it lasts...I hope you all have a wonderful day:)

20 comments:

kelli said...

yum yum! love the almond goji flower!

sirova foods is great! i've ordered from joanna and was very pleased. she's got great stuff at competitive prices. plus i love supporting stay-at-home mommas.=)

Joanna Steven said...

I love you Angela! You too Kelli :)

Nelly said...

great post, i am definitely going to check out the website...

i would love to buy sproutable oats...i want to make so much with them!!!

i love the little tails!!!

<3

Julie Lynn said...

Fabulous! Thank you for turning us on to Sirova. I'll be ordering soon. =)

Lauren said...

Wow that looks amazing!!! Holy yummmo! I could have a big bowl right now! ;) Enjoy!

Mindy said...

Lovely recipes, can't wait to try, and I just bought the same oats from Sirova, and Brazil Nuts and sea spaghetti and cacao butter! Few other things too. So funny, I was thinking the photograph looks just like my order. Well, you know, they say great minds think alike! :)

HiHoRosie said...

Yum yum!!! Looks so good and tasty and cozy yet light. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

bitt said...

I am terrified of oat groats because when I went gluten free they were on the No list. I still haven't seen any that are certified GF. They have to be grown on their own field and processed with nonwheat equipment. anyhow, i'm sure i am in the minority being so fussy about this.

i still need to get those sea spaghetti noodles. mmm.

Pure2raw twins said...

I do not well with raw oats, but it sure looks good!

We love our Sirova Sea Spaghetti!!

Anonymous said...

Those oats looks so delish! I have not to find cacao butter yet...guess I am going to have to check out Sirova's.....mmmm!

Enjoyed the post!

xoxo

Melissa said...

I don't know if I mentioned this before..but I can't stand cooked oatmeal. It literally makes me gag..lol. I think I'm the only one in my oatmeal-loving family who can't stand it...but this sprouted version looks like something I would like to try! It's the mush factor that brings on the gag reflex so this looks awesome! Thank you for sharing about Sirova too. Sounds like a one-of-a-kind online retailer:)
Send some sunshine my way please!!!

Isle Dance said...

Oh! My! Gosh!!!!!!!!

shannonmarie said...

Joanna is such a sweetie, with an awesome business, too. I'll have to check out those oats.

BTW, I would've added the chocolate, too :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm hungry and those oats look absolutely delicious :-)

The Cooking Lady said...

I tried sprouting my oats(I but mine in bulk) and they went sour on me. I think I had too many in my sprouting jar. I will make thee attempt again soon.

evergreen said...

Hi kelli...I was so happy with everything from Sirova, and agree with your thoughts about supporting a great company with a stay-at home mom:)

Hi Joanna! Love you too!!!! {{HUGS}}

Hey Nelly...I waited so long to find really raw oats and they were delicious!

Julie...I just know you will love them!

Thank you, Lauren:)

Mindy...That is so funny!!!

TY Heidi:) It is hearty, but light as the same time:)

@bitt and Pure2rawtwins...I know you all have to be very careful, maybe buckwheaties would work in this recipe?

Hi Pam...TY, sweetie! The 2 lbs of cacao butter were so lovely and fresh, I just inhaled them for a few minutes...lol!

Hey Melissa!...I feel the same way! I only like mushy when it comes to luv:) Hope you got your sunshime by now!

Isle Dance and gmontalvo13...you are both so sweet!

shannonmarie...I agree, Joanna is so lovely! Hehe...chocolate oatmeal is yummy:)

Hi Antony...Thank you so much:)

@The Cooking Lady...I used to buy my oats from the bulk bins at the co-op. They were heat treated, and would never sprout:( I would still soak them overnight and eat them like that. The sprouted ones feel a bit lighter in the tummy:)

Julia said...

This looks so good! I miss granola soooo badly since it turns out I can't even tolerate oats. I wonder if I could eat sprouted? I know I can eat nuts as long as they've been soaked & dehydrated so maybe. I guess I'll just have to pop over to that site, pick some up and give it a shot!

buy coconut prudocts said...

funny thing that its my first time to see those nuts. anyways i like 'em especially the way you posted it.. really mouth watering are these pictures and i'm sure these are deliciously made. Keep it up!

threehappypenguins said...

I can't find them! The link isn't working! :(

evergreen said...

So sorry about the link, the company has closed. I found another source for you:

http://sproutpeople.org/oats.html

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Related Posts with Thumbnails