5/15/09

The well-equipped raw kitchen

There are some additions to your own happy raw kitchen you may like to make. Although you can eat entirely raw without these gizmos and gadgets, they are lots of fun, and you will never get bored with the endless possibility of things you can create!
The well equipped raw kitchen can include a dehydrator, an ice cream maker, a spiral veggie cutter, or julienne peeler, a mandoline or electric food slicer, and the magic bullet. Three must have appliances, in my humble opinion:), are a juicer, a good blender and food processor. Sprouting jars , a small spice (coffee) grinder, and nut milk bags are nice to have. One last gadget that I use several times weekly, the Vidalia chop wizard! This little veggie chopper makes perfectly diced fruit and veggies in two different sizes. So far, these appliances have served me well, however, I am likely to get a better juicer when mine breaks:)

Today I enjoyed a pesto "pasta". In the picture, I used a hand held julienne peeler. These gadgets are wonderful for single servings, and can be found at regular department stores and supermarkets.

Here is the recipe:
Pesto pasta

Ingredients:

2 cups daikon, cut with julienne peeler
½ cup fresh basil leaves, packed
½ cup fresh mint leaves, packed
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon pine nuts, and a sprinkle for garnish
3 tablespoon olive oil, approx.
½ teaspoon salt, more or less,to taste
¼ cup 1/4" diced tomato, i used red,orange and yellow
Preparation:

1.process basil,mint,lime juice,garlic,and pine nuts in small processor bowl till fine.

2.with machine running,drizzle in oil until creamy.

3.add salt as desired.

4.mix with daikon.

5.top with diced tomato and a sprinkle of pine nuts.

of course any “pasta” would work ,yellow or green squash is my favorite!

Here is a picture of the spirooli in action!













Don't worry if you don't have all the 'right stuff' right away. I was raw for over a year with just the juicer, food processor, and an old cuisinart blender.I purchased paint strainer bags for making nut milks. Here is a picture of those:











Also pictured are a cotton bag used for stuffing and a jelly straining bag (found with canning supplies). All of these have worked well for making nut milks, but my favorite, and most frugal, is the nylon paint strainer, found at large chain home improvement centers.
Most of the above links are for the actual appliances I now have. There are less expensive, perfectly wonderful choices available if you are just starting out. The good4u dehydrator is a very popular alternative to the excalibur. This blender looks good for anyone just starting out, as it has a metal to metal drive and a glass carafe. Here are several other options for spiralizers, but remember the julienne peeler is the least expensive. I love my magic bullet and still use it every day in addition to my big blender. The cups can be used for sprouting, and it is great for salad dressings and single servings of soups or smoothies. I am waiting for my current one to wear out so I can get the new one!

Here is a great price on the spirooli and many other items.

Any glass jar can be used for sprouting! Simply use a piece of cheesecloth and a rubber band for the top. I came across these lids that fit any wide mouth mason jar.
In addition, you will still need the usual kitchen utensils such as good knives, cutting boards,parchment paper, measuring cups and spoons, etc.
Together with all the foodstuffs in my fridge and pantry, I can usually create anything I crave:)
Click here for a site with great information.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails