5/21/10

My Mostly Raw Pantry:)


Thank you all so much for the wonderful comments on my Staying Raw post earlier in the week. I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to visit my blog and leave me such kind words:)

Having a well stocked pantry is one of the things that help me stay raw. Julie you cracked me up about having pantry envy:)

Since there are still problems for me posting a comment to my own blog:), I wanted to answer a couple of questions from lovely fellow blogger, Colleen.

Colleen wanted to know "Is that all raw food?" and "Where did you get your jars?"

To answer the first question, here is a closer look at my "mostly raw" pantry.

As you can see, my pantry is actually just an old bookcase:) I have my "happy raw kitchen" set up in a small spare room. All my special equipment, like the dehydrator, and even my own little refrigerator is in this room. It is only a few steps from my "real" kitchen where the stove is..lol!

Almost everything is raw. Many of the jars have grains, sprouted and unsprouted, nuts, seeds, and spices. Most items are purchased from the bulk bins at the co-op.

Some have my own raw, dehydrated foods.

Here is a peek at some of my non-raw items.

The vegan marshmallow creme is an ingredient needed for my absolutely not raw baked vegan mallo-mars:)


Onto the second question about the jars:

The jars are all glass. Most are just the usual mason jar with 2 piece rings and seals. These are available by the case of 12 for under $10, and come in many different sizes. They can be found at supermarkets, hardware, and department stores.

The larger square jars with solid 1 piece lids are from the housewares department of stores like Target or the "W" store. I acquired them one at a time over the last few years. They run between 2 and 6 dollars each.

To label some of the square jars, I used pre-made stickers. I purchased them at the health food store I go to, and they look like they are made especially for jars.

Since the pantry has open shelves, I wanted the mason jars to look nice, so I cut a little circle of pretty paper to cover the lids. Trust me, I am not like this about the rest of the house...lol!

The papers I used are sold in the craft stores as scrap-booking paper. Since I love crafting, I happen to have a circle cutter:), so this makes it really easy to make the circles.

Some jars have part of the package the contents came in, like the cacao butter. I pre-grate the butter, and also tape on the nutrition label.

There is just a little hint of actual organization to my pantry.

The very top has some packaged things like agave, lucuma, and cocoa.

The 1st two shelves have spices and ingredients like orange and rosewater, grains, some oils, and salt.

The bottom shelves have beans and seeds and nuts, my pre-made raw foods, fruits, and odds and ends:)

Thanks for joining me today, and I hope you liked this little peek at my pantry:)

As mentioned above, I have not been able to post comments on my blog lately, so feel free to mail me if you have any questions.

19 comments:

Julie Lynn said...

Amazing! That is some serious organization and creativity, hon! You rock! =)

Janice said...

Oh my gosh - I am SUPER inspired!! yo should see my mess of a pantry! I keep saying I need to organize all these bags of nuts and powders! I'll snap a shot of my pantry before I get it cleaned and then an 'after' and a link to your blog - I SO needed this push! THANKS!
Janice
(http://rawfoodsblog.blogspot.com)

O-Town Aerial Botany Chic said...

That is awesome! Much more impressive than my small stack of pantry jars. Great post!

bitt said...

wow, i wish I had that much room! come over and organize my kitchen--please!

shannonmarie said...

I love your jars. I wish I had a pantry like that. It's amazing!

I like those baked mallomars, but I make some good raw ones, too :-)

kelli said...

oh my goodness those mallomars!!! and those jar tops! how creative!

what a GREAT idea to shave the cacao butter and use the packaging for the top! i am so inspired right now!

(and so so happy you are back!=)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a pantry! Maybe you could go into the pantry organizing business!...he he!

Have a great weekend!

xoxo

Pure2raw twins said...

Thanks for going over your pantry in more detail!! Love it!!

We have tons of mason jars too, the best things!

Heather Pace said...

Wow, you have the most organized, best looking pantry (raw or otherwise) Ive ever seen!

Those mallowmars look insane!

HiHoRosie said...

Okay, now I have pantry envy!!!!! I love it! I love how organized it is and I love the idea of using an old bookcase. We also use mason jars - for just about everything really. They're awesome. And uh, please pass the mallomars. Now! :) I totally want one.

Nikki said...

Wow! Your pantry is... well, really cute! I love all of the labels and lids. Very inspiring! I'm collecting good ideas for my new kitchen and I'm adding your pantry photo to my inspiration folder :)

La Mama Naturale' said...

Omgoodness! Awesome pantry (love the book case idea too) and such creative crafting skills! So jealous. One of my goals this summer is to get more organized in the kitchen. Thanks for inspiration! :)

D2Quilter said...

So here's a post idea. . . Could you give us a list of what you think is essential for a RAW beginner to have in their Pantry? I've been working on my raw pantry, but it's overwhelming to decide what to get started with. Also, how should nuts etc. . . be stored? Thanks!

Michal said...

Thank you for sharing a peek inside your pantry :) Yours is so nice and organized, i wish mine looked that nice insde. Mine is more of a jumbled mess. I really should take a leaf out of your book when it comes to labeling things.

Colleen Miller said...

This is awesome! Thank you soooo much for sharing! You are so organized I love love love it! :-)
That's one of the things about raw food I've noticed, that when our bodies become cleaner and more organized, our life tends to follow the same pattern. I still have those 3 kids working against me, but I try. Thanks again for another beautiful, inspiring post! :-)

*erin* said...

beautiful!

country furniture kitchen said...

Impressed :)love your pantry!

Maria Lawrence said...

I know your expertise on this. I must say we should have an online discussion on this. Writing only comments will close the discussion straight away! And will restrict the benefits from this information. america's test kitchen air fryer

moiz said...

Klimaoase

Related Posts with Thumbnails