9/10/09

Chad Sarno's Beetroot Ravioli


This is an amazing and versatile recipe from Green Chef Chad Sarno . It is found on the gliving website. Click here for the recipe.

There are some steps that will take time to prepare. You may actually need a few days:)

The creamy cheese filling can be made using probiotic powder, or rejuvelac. I already had some rejuvelac on hand, so I used that.

Soaked cashews are blended with the rejuvelac, and cultured 14-16 hours. I like to let my cheeses go 24 hours, since my house is usually a little chilly.

Once the cheese is fermented, it is mixed with some lovely herbs, nutritional yeast, pepper, and salt. I prefer to use dried herbs in most of my cheeses, as the fresh ones add moisture and sometimes separate from the cheese. I left out the shallots called for, and used a bit less salt.

The green garlic oil needs 1 day to infuse, but I made it earlier and kept it in the fridge:)

The beet ravioli wrappers need at least an hour or so to soften in the garlic oil and some salt and pepper.

To assemble, simply fill the beet slices with a little cheese, drizzle a bit of the green oil and balsamic, and add a sprinkle of chives. I had a wide beet, so I used 1 beet slice folded over instead of 2 per ravioli:)

This was so good! Well worth the time needed to make it:) Thank you to Chef Chad Sarno for this recipe!

The delicious cheese was my favorite part of this recipe. I did a little remix with the ingredients and used it as a dip for some red beet chips. Simply slice and dehydrate a beet until crisp. Sprinkle with the green oil and balsamic, add a few chives, and dip in the creamy cheese.

I also formed some cheese into a heart shape by packing it in a cookie cutter. This really took care of my 'cheese and cracker' craving! The crisp crackers were another variation of my rosemary crackers:

Italian Herb Crackers

2 cups almonds, soaked 8 hours, rinsed and drained
½ cup Chia seed, ground fine
¼ cup nutritional yeast
1-2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
1/2 -1 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 cup fresh water

1. In food processor fitted with “S” blade, grind almonds till coarse.

2. Add herbs, chia seed, and salt and process till combined.

3. With machine running, add water to form dough.

4. Let stand a few minutes to thicken.

5. Divide between 2 teflex sheets and roll covered with cling wrap.

6. Peel back wrap and sprinkle with extra herbs, if desired.

7. Replace wrap and roll lightly to set herbs.

8. Score as desired, or cut into shapes with cookie cutters as shown.

9. Dehydrate at 112 degrees, turning halfway through until crisp.

Store in glass jars for several weeks.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Wow Angela! we must be on the same wavelength! (and I've thought this many many times reading one of my favorite blogs). I actually have this recipe printed out sitting on my counter! I love Chad's recipes. I just made rejuvelac and some cheese from my Grezzo class instructions. (it's sitting out now) I am also planning on using Chad's cheese recipe to flavor my fermented cheese. Love your ravioli photos! I love red beet ravioli recipes! They're the best! We should also try Sarma's red beet ravioli recipe too. I love how hers are in heart shapes :-D

My husband is camping and hiking this weekend in the white mtns with his buddies so I'm on my own this weekend. Going to make some raw vegan 'sushi' and a seaweed salad since Scott hates anything that tastes like it came from the sea...I hope to have some good 'cheeze' for a more authentic tasting cheesecake..

Anyhoo it's late and i'm babbling. Sorry to spam out your comment sections :-)

Going to bed soon!

Have a great weekend in the lovely Adirondacks!

Waving from the Green Mountains!
Joyce

evergreen said...

Hi Joyce!...I am always glad to see a comment from you:)

As far as being on the same wavelength...you know that saying, "great minds think alike"...lol!

I love the way Sarma's ravioli look, and I'm sure they taste great too.

Hope you are enjoying your alone time;)

btw...The cultured cheese does make a wonderful cheesecake!

{{{waving back!}}}
Angela

Fruitcake Circadian said...

Great reading yoour blog post

Related Posts with Thumbnails