9/1/09

Raw Sprouted Essene Bread


Here is the most basic of raw bread recipes. I have read that true essene bread has only one ingredient, sprouted grain! I believe any sprouted grain can be used. Spelt and kamut are popular, and I have also used rye.

For this bread, I was sprouting some soft white wheat berries for rejuvelac. I started with about 1 and 1/2 cups of organic wheat berries. They were soaked overnight in fresh water, rinsed, drained, then sprouted for about 2 days, rinsing, and draining 2-3 times a day. Like most seed sprouts, the tails should be as long as the seed when ready to use. After sprouting, I removed 3 (loosely filled) cups of the wheat for this bread, and left about 2 cups for the rejuvelac. For the rejuvelac, I added water to the sprouts, and put them next to the dehydrator where it was warm:) In a few days, it will be ready. I have also made bread using the 'spent' grains:)

Sprouted Soft White Wheat Berries

Raw Essene Bread

Ingredients:
3 cups sprouted soft white wheat berries(measured after sprouting)

1. Place sprouted wheat berries in food processor fitted with "S" blade.

2. Process until finely ground and dough-like. If you have a Champion type juicer, process using blank plate.

3. Remove dough and knead for a minute or so.

4. Shape as desired and place on mesh sheets of dehydrator. I pinched off a small ball of dough (a little over 1 inch ball), rolled them into ropes (about 6-7 inches long) , and shaped them as shown. If any of you ever had Italian Easter Bread cookies, you may recognize the shapes:)

Loaves can be made, but I usually limit them to 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch high to prevent fermenting, or souring, of the bread. I like to stamp the plain loaves using a foam stamp:)

5. Dehydrate at 112 degrees for several hours, as desired. I dry it until the outside is crisp and dry, and inside is still moist. The little bread-stix pictured usually take 6-8 hours. If you prefer, loaves may be dried at 145 degrees for the first two hours, and then reduce the temp to below 115 for the remainder of the drying time. Most raw foodies believe this will not affect the living enzymes. This method also reduces the likelihood that the bread will sour. Flip the bread as soon as possible to dry the underside. I flip usually once or twice again while drying.

Makes 1 small loaf or 10 bread-stix

As you might imagine this bread is quite plain! It is dense with a sweet, slightly grassy taste. I make a sweet cinnamon coconut butter, and a savory dipping oil to dress it up! My kalamata karma dressing is great as a topping!

Dipping oil for Raw Bread
1 heaping tablespoon mixed Italian herbs ( my dried blend had basil, oregano, garlic, onion, red pepper,marjoram, rosemary, and sage)
1/4 cup olive oil
Few grinds of pink salt to taste

1. Combine all ingredients in a small jar with lid, and shake until well mixed.

Sweet Cinnamon Butter

2 soft fresh medjool dates
2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Combine all ingredients in small bowl until smooth. I just used a fork and smashed it against the side of the bowl.

2. Serve soft or chilled until firm

3. May be molded in candy mold. Fill molds with soft butter and freeze before 'popping' out of mold. Keep stored in fridge.

Here are some links to other essene bread recipes. They all look amazing!
The Daily Raw Cafe
Rawtimes
E-How Italian style essene
Zoe's bread
If you have a favorite recipe you would like to see here, please let me know:)

10 comments:

veggie wedgie said...

Those bread sticks look amazing! I will have to try this.

Anonymous said...

Do you need to dry these sprouts before making the bread?

evergreen said...

The dough is made from the wet, sprouted wheat berries. After the dough is shaped, they are dehydrated as desired. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

May I use red berries?

evergreen said...

This method works very well for me using hard red winter wheat berries. Thanks so much for asking!

Unknown said...

Hello everyone.

I have tried to eat raw wheat and rye sprouts. And clearly, I do not digest them very well. When I eat them, it feels like I have some kind of a stone in my stomach. Is the essene bread more digestable? What effect has the mixing and dehydrating have on the digestability of the sprouts? Does is make the sprouts more digestable? Is there anynone with this experience?

Thank you,

Dalibor

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to make raw sprouted bread without a dehydrater ? What is a dehydrater?????

Unknown said...

Yes, properly preparing wheat by sprouting does make it digestible. If you have problems with it try smaller amounts initially. To fix the existing gut damage, go vegan and eat 1/4 cup of a good quality probiotic daily like kimchi, coconut Kefir, sourkrout. They should all be in glass containers and organic. Be well

CharGC said...

Actually, the souring you mentioned is beneficial and the work of lactobacilli that make probiotics for our microbiome. If you let the dough ferment a bit before drying it, it will even rise a bit. It is the same principle as using sourdough...the result of wild yeasts and microbes that man has been using for millennia before the cloning of selected yeasts for bread making.

Anonymous said...

thanks for this recipe, I have been DIGGING to find this!!!
I'm fairly new to raw foods, but have been sprouting a long time. Loving my breakfast of rye sprouts, and want bread too. AWEsome.
Peggy

Related Posts with Thumbnails