2/16/10

Chocolate Banana Pudding Cake



I found myself with a few too many ripe avocados today...hmmm, what's a raw, chocolate lovin' girl to do:)

Chocolate-Banana Pudding Cake


Crust:
1 cup raw pecans
1/2 cup dates, I used medjool
1 cup coconut flakes, I used fine shred
2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
pinch of cinnamon, optional

Filling:
4 medium avocados, soft and ripe
1 banana, spotty:)
1 cup raw cacao powder
¼-½ cup agave, to taste
¼ cup maple syrup, I used grade B
¼ cup coconut oil, softened, increase amount to 1/2 cup or sub cacao butter for firmer filling
½ whole vanilla bean, ground

1. Process all crust ingredients in food processor fitted with the "S" blade until crumbly and sticky. Press into 7" spring-form pan, or pan of choice. Chill while preparing filling.

2. Process all filling ingredients in food processor fitted with the "S" blade until thick and smooth. Pour into chilled crust.The filling is a variation of one of the most surprising recipes(IMHO) in the raw food world.

When I first tried this recipe on Gone Raw, I could not believe that avocado, sweetener, and cacao could turn into chocolate pudding (or mousse), but it did! There are countless variations of this avocado pudding:)

3. Top with large coconut flakes and cacao nibs as desired. I also added some raw choccie hearts from v-day:)

Click here to see my raw chocolate recipe, suitable for molding:)

This page has the chocolate heart mold I used, #VO24


4. Chill until firm, at least 3 hours before serving, small pies or tarts will take less time.

This recipe is adapted from one posted in the current edition of Better Nutrition. Thanks for the inspiration BN!

Anyone wanna piece?

25 comments:

bitt said...

*raises hand* me! I'll take a piece!

i never would have imagined the avocado-chocolate combination either but it's really good and silky. mmm

Julie Lynn said...

Another brilliant recipe that I am tucking into the birthday cake files. =)

Anonymous said...

oh you know i do and there's only one relatively hard avocado in the house !!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Me!...Me!...Me!...I will take a piece PLEASE!

xoxo

Cathy said...

That looks gorgeous and super delicious!

barefoot_and_frolicking said...

this looks SOOOO delicious! I would love to try making this sometime; it would be a nice recipe break from most nut-based cakes and pies! Thanks for sharing :-)

Nikki said...

oh my gosh, creamy, yummy sweetness! Looks amazing!

kelli said...

i do i do!

i'm still drooling thinking about my chocolate avo mousse last night. now i'm just waiting for the new avos to ripen!

your cake looks amazing. love the chocolate hears!=)

Pure2Raw Twins said...

Amazing! :) Yes we would love a slice!!!!

Michal said...

If i pay for your plane ticket will you come to my house and make me that pie? :) It looks GREAT!

La Mama Naturale' said...

Me, me, me, me! This is on my menu also! I <3 Better Nutrition magazine. I'm sure mine won't look as good as yours. I love the chocolate heart additions. This is a much prettier version than the mags. You go girl! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, does that ever look incredible! Such simple ingredients, too :) The chocolate hearts are beyond cute. Are they raw, too?

Anonymous said...

Looks really good! How do you get the filling to be this smooth? I use my processor too but somehow my filling for the cheesecakes (or cakes like this) turn out to be grainy. Finer than the crust but still with bits of nuts in it. What is your secret?? - Cindy

evergreen said...

Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments, my fellow choccie lovers! I saved a piece for just you:)

~Michal~need my address to send the ticket?:)

~rawcandy~TY, this is one of my favorite chocolate molds, and they are raw, I will add the chocolate recipe link above:)

~Cindy~ I think this filling is naturally velvety smooth because there aren't any tree nuts in it. My nut fillings always have a little more texture:)

Pam said...

Hey, I haven't received my piece yet...is it in the mail?...lol!!

So very nice!

xoxo

evergreen said...

Ha ha...you are too funny Pam! Yep, I mailed it special delivery:)

amy said...

ohhmygoodd. hook me up!
that looks amazing.

Emi said...

Tried this one as well :)
You're right, the banana definitely cancels the avocado taste. Also I found out that by leaving the whole thing to rest in the fridge for a couple of hours the avocado was less detectable.

I made this cake into little muffin-sized bites and had some left over filling... It is most amazing! I could have this cake at every meal :)
Thank you x

evergreen said...

So happy this worked out for you, Emi :)

Anonymous said...

just made your recipe for a Christmas desert! I added espresso powder and it tastes amazing! Thanks for sharing...helping my husband realize that raw can taste good =)

evergreen said...

Thanks very much for letting me know...the espresso sounds like a wonderful addition! Happy Holidays!

Flower Fairy said...

This. Is. The. Best. Cake. Recipe. Ever! Raw and non! My omni boyfriend absolutely loves this, and my housemates tried it and didn't even realise it was raw and "healthier" :) x

evergreen said...

Hi Flower Fairy,

So happy that everyone enjoyed the cake. It was so sweet of you to let me know:)

Flower Fairy said...

I don't know if you still check this blog evergreen, but just thought I'd let you know that I've been blender-less for over a year (long story), and finally bought a new blender yesterday. When my boyfriend got home and saw it, the first thing he said was "Can we have that chocolate cake again please?"
Hope you're well - even if the blog hasn't been updated in a while I still come back for inspiration from your great recipes and excellent pantry organisation :)

evergreen said...

Dear Flower Fairy,
Thanks so much for your wonderful comment. Hope you enjoy your new blender!

Related Posts with Thumbnails