2/18/10

Raw Food Gone Rawng:)

Every once in a while I make something that just isn't what I expected.

Several years ago, I heard that sweet brown rice was the only rice that would sprout. I envisioned all kinds of fantastic raw sprouted rice dishes, sushi, un-fried rice, raw rice pilaf, and so on:)

I bought some organic, sweet brown rice in the bulk bins at the co-op. I excitedly brought it home, soaked, and sprouted it!

OK... now to sample my sweet, beautiful, sprouted raw brown rice....

um...not so good, lol!

It was really not sweet, as the name implies, but rather bitter, and still quite hard. Could I mask the taste with some intense ingredients like NamaShoyu or something...

uh...not happening, and of course, still hard.

So, my lovely sprouted brown rice went straight into the dehydrator, and was ground into powder. I knew there was some nutritional benefit to it, as some protein powders are made with rice.

Now I sprout sweet brown rice just to make this healthy raw sprout powder:)

I also do this at the end of the week with any leftover sprouts, like mung bean, that I am unable to use before they go bad. Simply dehydrate, and grind in the Blendtec:)

I have hidden:) this powder in smoothies, soups, crackers, and today, banana soft-serve:)

Strawberry Stracciatella Soft-Serve


4 frozen bananas
1 cup strawberries, fresh or frozen
1/8-1/4 cup rice powder, or other sprout powder of choice, optional:)
1/4 cup raw chocolate, still melted
chocolate covered strawberries, chopped fresh berries, optional

1. Pulse frozen bananas in food processor fitted with the "S" blade until well chopped. Add strawberries and rice powder, and continue to process until mixture is the consistency of soft-serve ice cream. You may have to stop and scrape the sides occasionally.

2. With the machine running, drizzle in the raw melted chocolate. This will form thin, crispy chocolate chips, known as "Stracciatella". So delish!

3. Serve with additional chopped strawberries and top with a chocolate covered strawberry:)

So this is what I did with a raw food gone rawng:) I would love to know if you have anything you have done to "save" an inedible raw food.

14 comments:

RA is Wild said...

what a gorgeous presentation!

I have had alot of raw food gone rawng! and I could never make it right. I tried raw fudge with brazil nut pulp leftover from nut milk and it bombed.

Im new to this Raw uncooking thang, so I read blogs like yours to become more proficient!

Melissa said...

Hey Evergreen!

Great save with the rice. PS we eat VEGA and his top protein in the mix we take is sprouted brown rice, so it must be good! I will keep this in mind if I make too many sprouts as they are too amazing nutritionally to waste. Love your softserve too and that glass..too cool! I haven't been involved in raw foods long enough to make big rawngs but will keep you updated:)

kelli said...

oh wow, this is amazing! glad it didn't go too rawng (ha, love it!) as you've learned to make your own healthy powder to hide (love that, too!).

the ice cream and strawberries look fabulous! when are you opening your own dessert shop?!

=)

Pam said...

Beautiful and I'm glad you found a good use for it!

Girl...we must be on the same page...I posted a protein cake today....lol!!

xoxo

evergreen said...

Hi RawSierra~ Glad to know I am not alone! Thanks for the sweet comment:)

~Melissa~thanks, I think that glass was a thrift store find:)

~kelli~You are too cute:)

Hi vincent~ I will check it out!

~Pam~"Great Minds..." LOL!

Anonymous said...

one word: D E l I G H T F U L!

xOxO

bitt said...

I would like a chocolate covered strawberry please. :-)

That is a great idea. My husband made something with sprouted quinoa flour once. Never thought of adding it to a smoothie. Way to go! You might put sunfood nutrition out of business. ;-)

evergreen said...

Thanks, HippieMom!

~bitt~Come on over...they really should be enjoyed the day they are made:)

Pure2raw twins said...

The strawberry soft serve looks yummy and so pretty!!

La Mama Naturale' said...

Man, you are one lucky lady! That looks mighty delish! ;)

HiHoRosie said...

Hey, that's smart! Love those chocolate covered strawberries. Yum!

Julie Lynn said...

Genius!!!

I can never save the inedible raw food because the kids get it to the trash before I can catch them ;-)

Michal said...

Oh my your presentation is just gorgeous for sure :) You are really a food artist

evergreen said...

I appreciate your wonderful comments everyone! Thanks so much:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails