2/12/10

Lovely Orange-Fennel Salad



This salad was inspired from the first course offered by Sarma on thePure Food and Wine Valentine's Day Menu posted here.

The combination of fennel, avocado, and pomegranate sounded so good. To keep it on the light side for my lunch today, I did not add avocado, but will when I make this again:) I used the orange flavor from Sarma's dressing, and added orange segments to my salad instead.


For the Salad
1 small bulb fennel(aka anise), sliced thin
1 orange, supremed*
1 small avocado, cubed
2-3 Tablespoons pomegranate arils
strawberry hearts:), optional for garnish

1. Combine fennel, orange segments, avocado if using, and pomegranate arils.

2. Pile on a plate, and decorate with strawberry hearts:)

3. Serve with a sweet dressing. I used the one that follows.

*supremed is just a fancy word for segmented:) Simply cut off both ends of the unpeeled orange, and slice off the rest of the peel while resting a cut end on the cutting board. Once the peel is removed, cut between the membranes of the segments and remove the orange segments:)

For the dressing:(a variation of my sweet orange dressing)

1/2 orange, peeled (can use zest, if desired)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon raw coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons agave, or a soft, pitted medjool date
pinch of salt and pepper, optional

Combine all dressing ingredients in magic bullet or blender until creamy.

I was inspired to use the coconut vinegar from this post by Fayinagirl of the incredible Gluten-Free Vegan Family blog. I made her awesome avocado timbale yesterday for dinner, and loved it! Thanks Julie:)!!
* sorry had to post a screen shot of my saved recipe since Julie's blog is gone. So sorry for all the broken links from other blogs. I never posted the actual recipes from other blogs, and many have now sadly disappeared. Thanks to everyone who contacted me about broken recipe links. 

I immediately fell in love with the coconut vinegar:) It was the first time I used this lovely raw vinegar. I loved the subtle sweet coconut flavor. It made a delightful difference in the dressing:)


Hope you all did not mind my daily postings this week! I guess I was making up for lost time while I was away:)

Hope you have a wonderful weekend and Valentine's Day.

{{{BIG HUGE VALENTINE HUGS TO ALL!!!}}}

12 comments:

Joanna Steven said...

I love your heart shaped strawberries!! :)

Unknown said...

Love, love, LOVE the cute little heart shaped strawberries!

How is that coconut vinegar? What does it taste like? I see it all the time at my Whole Foods, but just never buy it.

La Mama Naturale' said...

You are incredible... love the heart shaped strawberries too!!! Super cute. {{{BIG HUGS BACK}}}

evergreen said...

Thanks for the sweet comments about the little strawberry hearts...I have had those cutters for years now, and I love using them:)

RawFoodNerd...The vinegar does taste very slightly of coconut. It has a strong fermented taste, and I think I may be able to use less of it than ACV in a recipe. After reading about it on the website, I was even more impressed with it:)

Julie Lynn said...

Huge Valentine hugs back at ya! {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

What fun! Those little heart-shaped strawberries are adorable!!! So glad you liked the timbale. It's such fun to share ideas. =)

Pam said...

I love reading your post daily!

Your salad looks so light and refreshing!...Yummy!

Happy V Day back to ya Sweetie!

xoxo

bitt said...

happy valentine's to you too! thanks for getting me in the spirit of heart day.

i nominated you for an award over on my blog.

kelli said...

oh. my. GOODNESS!!! that dish is gorgeous! i can't take my eyes off it. the strawberry hearts - ADORABLE!

coconut vinegar!?! oh, i need that!

happy valentine's day to you, too, sweetness. we loved the daily posts. keep 'em coming, please! =)

Michal said...

Oh my coconut vinegar, how interesting! Your salad looks so beautiful :) And juicy and sweet.

Isle Dance said...

I have died and gone to heaven. Seriously. HEAVEN!

Nikki said...

Beautiful. The hearts are the best!

evergreen said...

Thanks everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful v-day:)

~bitt~ Thanks for giving me the awesome Sunshine Award!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails