6/29/09

Ani's Raw Food Desserts


There are 85 recipes in this lovely book. I have only had it since last Wednesday, and I have already made the Breakfast Toast, Ice Kream Cones*, Cherry Brownie Hearts, Liquid Chocolate, Lavender Chocolate Bars, Key Lime Kream Bars, and the Carob Walnut Cookies! Everything I made was wonderful. Most recipes are quick and easy to make. I am looking forward to trying all the recipes in this book.

* for the cones, I made circles with the batter, instead of rectangles. I was short on time and that is how I usually make them.

Ani has graciously allowed me to share her recipe for Carob Walnut Cookies! It was my first time making anything with carob, and I loved it.

As you can see, I made Ice Kream Sandwiches as described on page 27 of the book. The Key Lime Kream Bars(page 25) are the perfect filling for these yummy cookies!

Ani's description of the cookies:
Sweet raisins, malty carob, and rich walnuts are ground together to make a delicious, dark sweet cookie. Packed with antioxidants, vitamin E, and EFAs, these cookies keep you trim and your skin radiant.

Carob Walnut Cookies
makes 8 to 12 cookies













1 cup raisins
3/4 cup raw walnuts
1/4 cup raw carob powder
1 teaspoon mesquite powder(optional)
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

Combine the raisins, walnuts, carob powder, mesquite powder if using, and salt in the food processor. Process until the dough begins sticking together.

Press the dough into 2-inch cookie cutters placed on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Shoot for a thickness of 1/3- to 1/2- inch. Or, make 1- to 1 1/2 - inch balls and flatten.

Place cookies in the freezer to chill and firm up for 30 minutes or more before serving or transferring to the fridge for serving later.

Will keep for many weeks in the fridge or freezer. Thaw 5 minutes before eating.

From the book Ani’s Raw Food Desserts by Ani Phyo. Excerpted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright © 2009. Find out more at www.dacapopresscookbooks.com.

Thank you to Chef Ani Phyo for this charming book.

Special thanks to Lindsey Triebel at Perseus Books for the delightful correspondence needed to make this possible.

Here is my picture of the delicious Breakfast Toast

They are crisp and light, and so good warm from the dehydrator. I was happy to share them with my parrot, who loved them , too!

Here is my picture of the Lavender Chocolate Bars













I used slightly less of the lavender, as it was my first time using it. This is a very elegant chocolate, and I think it would make a lovely favor for a bridal shower, or just a little thank you gift. If making this in a warm climate, you may find it helpful to use cocoa butter for all or part of the oil in this recipe to make a harder chocolate. I slipped it into a chocolate treat bag before packing it in a bridal favor box. Both the treat bag and boxes are available at large craft stores.

Edited to add....

Coconut Ice Kream (with a little blackberry and raspberry)

Key Lime Kream Bars (as a popsicle)

Trail Mix Cookies

I left these yummy cookies in the shape of the little scoop, just the right size to pop in your mouth!

Sesame Snap Cookies

These may be my favorite cookie from the book:)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails