6/1/09

Wild edibles

Now, for sure, I know I am a full-fledged raw foodist. During a walk today, I stopped by a lovely babbling brook. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, the scent of pine was in the air. I took a deep breath, admired the beautiful surroundings, and said to myself...I wonder if those pretty green leaves are edible!!!!


















Of course, you must be very careful when foraging for food in the wild. Some plants are extremely poisonous. Today, the only edible wild plant I knew for sure were the dandelion greens. Click here for some health benefits.













Last year I used some in salads and smoothies. Try to find a field guide to wild edibles or an expert in your area if you are interested in foraging. Click here for a site with lots of information. Check out this page for pictures of many common plants. The pictures may help identify safe wild edibles:) Here is a site with many recipes , some are raw. You may also search 'wild harvesting' or 'wildcrafting plants' for more information. This site looks like it has some great resources.

Here is a salad I made today. I picked the dandelion greens in the woods, where I know they don't spray, and it is far from any traffic.

Dandy salad with sweet orange dressing












for salad combine:
2-3 cups mixed baby greens
1 cup dandelion greens
1 sprig mint leaves, torn
3 strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup red raspberries
1/2 a navel orange, peeled and cut up

for dressing:
1/2 orange, peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon agave, or a soft, pitted date
pinch of salt and pepper, optional

combine all dressing ingredients in magic bullet until creamy.

You may notice I am trying out my to-go ware:) They hold more than I first thought, more than 4 and a half cups (liquid measure) in each level!

Here is a website that has another brand of tiffin.
Check these out, too!
One more:)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails