11/3/09

Fall for Soup!


Since Fall has arrived in the Adirondacks, I love to have nice warming soups for lunch.

Today I made a quick and easy soup from Gena of Choosing Raw. Please click here for the recipe for Red Pepper and Hemp Soup.

Gena's soup is warming because it has curry and turmeric in it. I loved the use of hemp seeds in this soup. I sometimes substitute hemp seeds in recipes in place of nuts, so it was nice to find a recipe that already used hemp:) Since I like my soups on the creamy side, I used 1/4 cup of water and it was just right for me:) It was light, yet filling and perfectly seasoned.

Thank you Gena for your awesome recipe!

Now, a few words about being a raw foodie in the winter, since some raw foodies find it harder to stay raw when it is cold out.

Using hot spices is one way to beat the cold. This post has a partial list of warming foods.

If the air is feeling very crisp, I warm my serving bowl by filling it with very hot water while preparing the soup. I simply fill my bowl with hot or even boiling water for several minutes, and discard the water (or use it to make tea) before using.

I find it so comforting to hold a warm bowl of soup in my hand while eating it:) This little warming trick works well for cups of raw hot chocolate too:)

The Blendtec 'soup setting" also warms soup ingredients to around 110 degrees most times, which feels quite warm compared to a crisp, cold salad!

Serving plates and bowls may also be warmed in the dehydrator for about 1 hour if it happens to be on:)

Since I am not 100% raw, I drink hot tea in the fall and winter. If the tea has ginger in it, it's extra warming:) Most of the teas I use are herbal, and I enjoy them whenever I feel chilly.

My favorite way to really warm up when I am cold is to get moving! Getting outside is always my first choice, to walk or bike. Adirondack winters can be fierce, and the roads get really dangerous so...

Sometimes I will just run up and down the two flights of stairs in my house until I can't run any more...lol!

House cleaning such as vacuuming or scrubbing a floor is also a favorite way to get going, and freshen up the house too:)

If I can't get out in the winter, I have a few small pieces of exercise equipment like a mini-trampoline, stair stepper, small weights, and stretchy bands. I love the exercise on demand channel, too!

I still have to force myself to exercise sometimes, but I am always glad when I do!

I would love to hear about your favorite ways to stay raw, or warm up in the colder months!

5 comments:

Cikgu Cikgi Malaysia Official said...

hi..
passing by^^


yummy yummy!
I love having soup too!

^^

Gena said...

So happy you enjoyed the soup, dear! I'm always flattered when you enjoy one of my recipes :-)

evergreen said...

Hi ♥yeeling♥ ...thanks for stopping by!

~Gena~...Thanks for another great flavorful recipe! Your new Turnip Pasta with Creamy Brazil Nut Sauce sounds amazing as well!

La Mama Naturale' said...

Hello! The turnip Pasta looks sounds so yummy! I might have to give it a go! Thanks for sharing your tips on staying warm - this is all so new to me- still learning and soaking the brain- if you will! So much information but I definitely know that raw vegan is where I want to be at least 70% of the time. ;) Lot's of challenges but taking it one day and one step at a time. Not rushing it. Good for you for sticking to a plan and not feeling guilty about it. I think that's really what it's about. I don't blame you - I will still probably keep hot tea on the list! Have a wonderful wknd. :)

evergreen said...

Hi La Mama Naturale'...Since I am planning to eat mostly raw food for the next 80 or 90 years, I had to make sure I could stick with it, so I do include some non-raw ingredients:)

I am seeing your comment a little late but wishing 'you and yours' a great weekend too!

Angela:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails