11/2/09

Mediterranean Cucumber Cups

This is another recipe by television foodie Rachael Ray. It only needed a tiny bit of tweaking to make it raw:) Here is Rachael's recipe. I simply replaced the feta cheese with pine nuts, and included the cucumber removed from the cups in the filling. My recipe is also scaled down for one lunch serving:)

Mediterranean Cucumber Cups

For cups:
1 English cucumber

For filling:
1 slice red onion, diced
1/4 orange bell pepper, 1/4 inch dice
2 campari tomatoes, 1/4 inch dice
8 kalamata olives, 1/4 inch dice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
juice of 1/2 a lemon
zest from whole lemon, use less if not a lemon fan like me:)
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Garnish:
1 tablespoon pine nuts
extra sprinkle of parsley or oregano

1. Peel cucumber so it has 4 or 5 stripes lengthwise. Trim both ends off cucumber, and cut into about twelve 3/4 inch slices. Carefully scoop out center of each slice, leaving the bottom intact.

2. Dice the removed center of cucumber and combine with onion, pepper, tomato, olives, oregano, parsley, lemon juice, zest, and oil. I used my vidalia chop wizard to dice all veggies. Add salt and pepper to taste, I just add pepper because the olives are salty enough for me.

3. Fill hollowed cucumber cups with filling. Garnish with pine nuts and desired herbs.

This has been a fast and easy lunch favorite of mine for a while now, but it is a great appetizer for a party. Once in a while I just make the filling part and top a mixed baby green salad with it...so good!

Thanks to Rachael Ray for the yummy recipe and inspiration:)

I had Rachael Ray on my mind today because I saw her at the market yesterday with her hubby John Cusimano, lawyer and front man for The Cringe. I actually spotted John first, and knew Rachael wouldn't be far away:) They are the cutest couple in person!

I wonder if I could get her to rawify some more recipes:)

3 comments:

bitt said...

i just happen to have a bunch of cukes in the fridge....


yes, get rachel ray to go vegan!

evergreen said...

Hi bitt!...hope you like it if you try it, it is nice and light:)

It is ironic that it was a guest on The Rachael Ray Show that inspired me to go raw!!!

MeekoMommy said...

I love cukes and this just opened up a whole new world!! Love the idea and your blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails