12/30/09

Fennel & Tomato Tart


Today I had the pleasure of making raw Chef Russell James' Fennel & Cherry Tomato, Balsamic Crust Tart with Macadamia Cheese.
I had my eye on this recipe for quite a while and finally decided to make it!

ETA...sadly another broken link, but here are the ingredients:





Despite a few...ummm...mistakes, it still turned out amazing:)

The delicate, flaky tart crust is made with a blend of nuts, flax, seasoning, nooch:), oil, vinegar, salt and water.

Little mistake...I forgot I was making 1/2 the recipe and added the full amount of herbs and vinegar. I also left out the oil:) As with many raw recipes, these little flubs did not make one bit of difference...yay!!! Half the recipe made 2 four inch tarts.

While the crusts dehydrated, I prepared the filling of marinated thinly sliced fennel and tomatoes. No problems here, I was a good girl and followed the directions:)

On to the macadamia cheese. I processed the macadamia nuts with the required amount of lemon juice, nooch:), and salt, and a dash of dehydrated onion. I did not realize that the cheese was done at this point, and I put it in the dehydrator, as with my own Parmesan-like cheeses. I actually loved it this way, but the recipe calls for 'fluffy' cheese:)

The entire recipe was done in about 6 hours, and smelled so wonderful the entire time.

Assembly was a snap, layering the warmed fennel and the tomatoes in the crust and topping with the macadamia cheese.

Since there was already a little balsamic in the crust, I drizzled a little balsamic and agave glaze on the plate before devouring it:).

I have to say that I thought this was really amazing!!! While I consider it very gourmet, it was so easy to make, and all the flavors went so well together.

Thanks so much to raw Chef Russell James for sharing your awesome talents with us:)

This is likely my last post until next year, so I want to wish everyone a healthy and happy new year!

Happy New Year {{{HUGS}}}

Angela:)

9 comments:

Angelique said...

Thanks Angela, same to you!

Angelique

Pam said...

Russell's recipes always look so good and you did such a lovely job...well done!

Happy Holidays!

P.S. bring a couple of these to the party too....we have to have a main entree...lol!!!

bitt said...

yum!

I screwed up on russell's tarts the first time too. oops. most of it worked out anyhow.

evergreen said...

Hi Angelique!~TY:)

Thank you, Pam ~you're on!

Hi bitt~ at least we can usually eat our mistakes:)

Julie Lynn said...

Happy New Year, Angela =)

Love that you have happy kitchen accidents too. Especially like that they don't matter much in the raw kitchen...my kind of "cooking"! ;-)

Hope you enjoy a lovely New Year's Eve and day.

~julie lynn

Nikki said...

So pretty! I love how forgiving raw food recipes are. Mostly because I'm not good at following the rules :)

Happy New Year to you!

Joanna Steven said...

Oh THANK YOU! I will nominate my 10 today or tomorrow :) Happy new year!

evergreen said...

~Fayinagirl, Julie Lynn~ What a lovely name:)

Except for the recipes I post, my meals are often "throw it all in the processor, and see what comes out!"

Nikki~you are my kinda girl!

~Joanna, you are most welcome:)

Hope you are all well in 2010:)!!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Mmmmm, those sound amazing. Macadamia cheese?? Holy moly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails