12/29/09

Gena's Sweet Cheese and Crackers


As you probably know by now, Choosing Raw is one of my favorite blogs. Gena offers expert nutritional advice, as well as awesome recipes. I think of her recipes as everyday recipes, which means I want to eat them every day:)!!!

Last week the lovely Gena posted a holiday menu. The starter course was her beautiful Sweet Cheese and Crackers. The cheese is a creamy blend of cashews, Meyer lemon, sweetener, dried cherries, and salt. The crisp crackers are flax seeds, with the addition of maple syrup and cinnamon...YUM!!!

Please click here to visit Gena's blog, Choosing Raw, for these awesome recipes.

I absolutely adore Meyer lemons. Since the recipe calls for the zest and juice of these sweet beauties, I was happy to find organic ones:)

The cracker recipe made about 2 (Excalibur) trays of thin crackers.

Since I just love cinnamon, I added extra by using my favorite swirl and star stencil on top of half of the delicious flax crackers.

I played around with the other half of the cracker recipe by adding some chopped dried cherries and the juice and zest of 1 Meyer lemon.

Please visit my Making Beautiful Raw Breads and Crackers post if you would like to see how I make my crackers:)

I used maple syrup in place of agave as the sweetener in the cheese, and packed it in a small spring-form pan overnight to firm.

This is an awesome recipe! I knew I would love it as soon as I saw it. I had to force myself to put it away and not eat it all at once:) It made a very satisfying lunch.

Thank you once again to Gena for sharing a recipe I know I will enjoy often:)

ETA~ I wanted to share a few pictures from today's walk. The lake is frozen now, and I wanted to get a pic before the snowmobiles and fishermen got on it. Trust me, it was colder than banana soft-serve out there!!!


8 comments:

Pam said...

Evergreen...if you ever have a party...you wouldn't have to ask me twice.....lol!....lovely..yumm!

Enjoy!

Nikki said...

I love Gena's blog too, and as soon as I saw the sweet cheese I knew I'd have to make it right away. So yummy! Your presentation is awesome. Love the stencil on the flax crackers.

Julie Lynn said...

Yummy looking. This would be great for New Year's Eve. As always, your presentation is lovely. =)

evergreen said...

~Pam~ Come on over and we will make a party...just promise to bring some of those chocolate chip cookies you made the other day...hehe!

Hi Nikki! Thanks for the sweet comment, and welcome back to the blogosphere:)

~Fayinagirl~ I was planning on having some left over for NYE, but I may have to make it again;)

La Mama Naturale' said...

I'm with Pam! LOL! Looks delish as always! Might have to give this go. Except that I only have a Mr. Foods dehydrator ( I know!) and I haven't attempted crackers yet... they'd have to be round- LOL! Hopefully, the new year will bring an awesome dehydrator! Thanks for sharing. Yum! ;p

evergreen said...

Of course La Mama Naturale', everyone is welcome!

I must warn you all, it is cold in the Adirondacks now... check out the pics I just added from today!!!

I am sure your dehydrator will be fine for crackers, and this would be the perfect first cracker recipe to try:)

Julie Lynn said...

Stop by my blog to pick up your blog award! =) Happy New Year!

evergreen said...

Thanks again, Fayinagirl!

Related Posts with Thumbnails