12/11/09

Olive Penguins!


Just a quick post today to show you one of my favorite things to make at the holidays.

A few years ago, I brought a veggie tray to a holiday party with quite a few of these little guys standing all around the bowl of dip in the middle. They were filled with regular cream cheese at the time.
It took a few minutes for anyone to notice them, but once they did everyone loved them. Several people wrapped one or two in a napkin to take home:)

This is another recipe idea that has been around for a while:)
One note: the olives needed for this are not raw since they are canned, but they are so adorable, I don't care...hehe.

Penguins!
colossal pitted black olives, for body
small pitted black olives, for head
carrot slices, for feet
favorite raw cream cheese*, chilled
frilled toothpicks

*for this simple raw nut cheese, I processed:
1 cup cashews, soaked and rinsed
juice of 1 very juicy lemon
6-8 grinds of pink salt

1. Prepare cream cheese and chill overnight. The recipe above should be enough for the entire can of colossal olives, which had at least 18.

2. Peel and slice carrot about 1/8" thick at the bigger end. Cut a small wedge out as pictured. Cut a few thin (1/16") slices, and cut those into small wedges for beaks. Some people use the cut wedge from the feet, but I like a thinner slice.

3. Drain and dry olives.

4. Cut a small "V" out of front of colossal olive as shown. I put the large hole in the olive up.

5. Fill with nut cheese. I use a small spoon, then smooth with a clean finger. Wipe any excess away.

6. Cut a small slit in small olive, and insert one small carrot wedge for beak. I put the large hole in the olive down.

7. Assemble penguin head and body on toothpick as shown, and stick into feet:)



If you are feeling very creative, you can dress your penguins. Flattened scallion can be tied into a scarf. You can make skis from bell peppers and use the toothpicks as poles. For more formal attire, how about adding 3 black sesame seeds down the front, and a red pepper(peel) bow tie:)

OK...that sounded so cute I had to try one...


Happy Chanukah (or Hanukkah) to those of you celebrating the Festival of Lights!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

14 comments:

Julie Lynn said...

It's official...you are THE most creative foodie I've ever seen! Love it! =)

Unknown said...

I envy your creativity!

evergreen said...

Awww...thanks:)

I am happy I found ways to combine my love of crafting with raw food!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe what you come up with! Fun stuff! :-) Laurie

Pam said...

How sweet!

Bee Happy!

evergreen said...

Thanks Laurie and Pam!

Lau-raw =o) said...

Wowwww! I love them!! Your creativity surpass anything I have seen! thanks and thanks, and thanks for sharing =o)

bitt said...

I know JUST the holiday tray to put these on. Thanks for playing with your food!

Snowdrop said...

omgoodness, i had JUST this morning pulled out my files on this from the http://onceuponaplate.blogspot.com/2008/12/olive-penguins.html
from last year! they are soooo cute! :)
xo

evergreen said...

Thanks for all your comments everyone!

~s~ thank you for that wonderful link, I love the way they made the penguins! I have also seen them around a cream cheese igloo...so cute:)

Berry Blue Toes said...

These are so cute!

Michal said...

Ahh so cute!

kelli said...

oh my goodness, these are the cutest!!!

evergreen said...

Thanks so much Berry Blue Toes, Michal, and kelli!:)

I first thought they were almost too cute to eat...almost, hehe:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails