12/4/09

Vanilla Chai Spice Macaroon


Here is my pick for raw vegan holiday cookie of the week. I like it because it is really easy and quick to make, and they look like little snowballs:)

I used chai spices, but you can just use vanilla with a dash of cinnamon if you prefer.

Vanilla Chai Spice Macaroons

Ingredients:
2 cups dried shredded coconut
½ cup cashews
3 tablespoons agave
¼ cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon chai spice mix, recipe follows
additional coconut to roll cookies in

1. Process cashews in food processor fitted with the “S” blade until well ground.

2. Add coconut, chai spice, coconut oil, and agave until well mixed.

3. Shape into small scoops, roll in additional coconut.

4. Sprinkle with additional chai spice mix.

5. Chill until firm.

Here is a cute snowman face using cacao nibs and a goji berry nose:)

Vanilla Chai Spice Mix Recipe

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon sweetener of choice*
½ inch vanilla bean, pod and seeds
6 -8 cardamom pods, seeds only, hull removed
2 points of star anise, pod and seeds
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves, or 2 whole
12 coriander seeds
4 allspice berries
2 white peppercorns
Few grinds of nutmeg

Place all ingredients in spice grinder and process until fine.

Adjust all spices to your own taste. I am not sure I ever make it the same way twice, and I usually don’t measure exactly.

This is a recipe for a large amount of chai spice mix that I copied and pasted a long time ago, and I based my recipe on it:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp. ground ginger
2 Tbsp. ground cardamom
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground cloves
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. allspice
2 tsp. powdered vanilla
1 tsp. white pepper


These are pictures of the whole spices common in chai spice blends. Pick and choose the ones you like! Additional spices may include mace, fennel, and bay leaf.

Cardamom

Star anise

White peppercorns

Nutmeg

Coriander

Allspice

Cinnamon and vanilla bean

*Sweeteners
Maple sugar, simply dried maple syrup. Not raw but really yummy:)

Date Sugar, can be raw if you make it yourself from dehydrated, ground dates.

Palm Sugar, was labeled raw in the bulk bins, but is definitely processed with heat:(

Evaporated Cane Juice, I don't think this is raw, as there is some debate.


I will have another cookie for you next week, but please let me know if you have a favorite you think I should try:)

All holiday recipes will be on this post for Happy Raw Holidays!

Have a nice weekend everyone!

11 comments:

Pam said...

OMG...those look so good and I love chai!

Enjoy!

barefoot_and_frolicking said...

fabulous! this has got me thinking for christmas! what delightful gifts these would make:-)

Julie Lynn said...

Great idea. Hmm, now you've got me thinking about cookie parties. =)

bitt said...

yummy and cute little snowball. i might have to bring these to a potluck coming up. :-)

as for sugar, you could probably just eliminate it if the recipe is sweet itself. q

evergreen said...

Hi everyone...thanks so much for your comments!

~bitt~ if you have a spice blend without any sweetener, you may want to use about 1/2 a tsp to start:)

I picked up a chai spice blend in the supermarket and it had sugar and sulfiting agents...yikes!!!

Unknown said...

WOW these look fab and thank you for sharing!!

bitt said...

hope you don't mind a put a link from my blog to this recipe. i think they would be cute in a little holiday-themed tin.

evergreen said...

Thanks Eve! I appreciate your comment:)

~bitt~ I am honored to be added to your wonderful gift idea post...thank you:)

I recently figured out how to enable links to this post to show up below...yay!!..it worked!!!

Paula Bruning said...

I found your recipe through a Google search and I love it! Even my non-raw, non-vegan coworkers enjoy these. Thought I'd let you know that I also created a variation on the recipe by excluding the chai spices and adding a 1 1/2 tbs of cacao powder and little extra maple syrup (my choice of sweetener). YUM! Thank you!!!

Kara said...

Thank-you so much for this recipe. I made them today and they were beyond fantastic. I could have eaten the whole batch at once.

evergreen said...

Hi Kara,
Thanks very much for letting me know you enjoyed them!

Related Posts with Thumbnails