12/14/09

Good Stuff!

I just love when I find a raw recipe when I don't expect it:)

Titled "Raw Vegan Dates Stuffed with Walnuts and Cardamom-Vanilla Cream", I just knew I had to try it!

The recipe was in this months' edition of Better Nutrition, a free little magazine at one of the health food stores I go to. It is by Lisa Turner. The original recipe called for just cardamom, but I used my vanilla chai spice blend, so I changed the name a little.

The article it was part of was called "Good Stuff!", so I borrowed that title, too:)

Dates Stuffed with Walnuts and Chai-Vanilla Cream

1 cup cashews, soaked, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons coconut oil, softened
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla, or use 1”-2" vanilla bean seeds
2 teaspoons honey, or use agave
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom, or use ½ a teaspoon of my vanilla chai spice blend
20 medjool dates, pitted
10 walnut halves
¼ -½ cup shredded coconut
¼ cup cacao nibs

1. Blend cashews, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla, sweetener, and cardamom(or chai spice) until creamy.

I actually used some leftover cream cheese from my olive penguins since it was just cashews, lemon juice and a little salt. I doctored it up by adding the spices, oil, vanilla, and agave. This can be made in advance and kept in the fridge.

2. Open pitted date lengthwise and fill with a little cream. Top with a walnut half. Place dates on serving plate and sprinkle with coconut and cacao nibs.

I just made the 5 shown, and eyeballed the ingredients and they still came out so good! They are very big, sweet, and quite filling. I think they could also be made on 1/2 cut dates since they are so huge. The original recipe says you can make them up to 24 hours ahead, cover and refrigerate.

Thanks so much to Lisa Turner for this festive recipe!

This could be a sweet part of your Happy Raw Holiday!

3 comments:

Pam said...

Those are so cute and yummy looking! They remind me of little turtles...you are so creative girl!

Enjoy!

bitt said...

I saw that in the exact same magazine! glad it was good.

Selena's Raw Kitchen of Love: "The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison." --Dr. Ann Wigmore, N.D said...

*YUMMY*

Related Posts with Thumbnails