1/21/10

Sarma's Beet Ravioli



Another winner from the pages of Living Raw Food by the lovely Sarma Melngailis.

Pages 201-2 feature this amazing entree.

At first glance, you might think such a beautiful meal would have lots of ingredients and take forever to make. I was pleasantly surprised that this was not the case :)

To start, prepare the pine nut "goat cheese" filling for the tender ravioli. Simply process* the perfect mix of pine nuts, oil, shallot, lemon zest and juice, nutritional yeast, s&p...see how easy:)

*One tiny little 'oopsie' here, I let it go a bit too long in the processor, and it got a little oily, but still tasted incredible:)

The delectable Rosemary-Cream Sauce includes half of the goat cheese with the addition of lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, water, s&p. I added slightly less water to create a very thick sauce. Again, so easy...

The last step involves slicing beets thinly, and cutting shapes as desired. Since it is how the ravioli is presented in the book, and it is getting close to Valentine's Day, I thought hearts would be nice. Next step is giving them a little soak in oil, lemon juice, and salt.

While they are soaking, you may want to give your fingers and cutting board a nice little scrub, since they will most likely be a lovely shade of pink by now:)

To finish, I drained the beets on a paper towel(don't yell at me, my fellow green peeps) and filled them with a little cheese mixture. Lay them on a plate with some fabulous Rosemary-Cream Sauce, a few drops of balsamic, a sprig of rosemary(or micro greens) and you are done!

This is absolutely one of the tastiest beet ravioli I have ever had. The fact that it is so easy to make is a huge plus. I especially adore the lemony flavors in it.

Sincere thanks to Sarma for sharing this fantastic recipe.

14 comments:

kelli said...

WOW!!! that plate is just gorgeous! perfect for valentine's day! =)

Julie Lynn said...

What a lovely plate to serve your sweetheart on Valentine's day. =)

Anonymous said...

Your food is always presented so beautifully! I can't wait to try this :-)

bitt said...

I JUST got this book yesterday! And my mom told me "do something for valentine's day on your blog". maybe i will just send her to your blog. :-)

excited to try those.

evergreen said...

Thanks so much for your kind words everyone! I hope you get the chance to try this awesome recipe:)

~kelli..it is so delish too:)

~Fayinagirl...I thought the same thing...if only he would try a bite sometime...LOL!

~Antony...Thanks so much, I hope you post when you do:)

~bitt...So happy you have the book now! I look forward to seeing what you make from it:) I have loved everything so far!

Nikki said...

Your ravioli is so beautiful. I just got the book recently and love it, too!

Pure2Raw Twins said...

Just came across your blog and love it! Going to take a look around. Just wanted to say hi and keep up the great work :)

evergreen said...

Thank you, Nikki! I am glad you have the book, and hope you post things you try from it, too:)

Welcome, Pure2Raw Twins, thanks for stopping by:)

Joanna Steven said...

I was browsing through books at the library, and they actually have Sarma's new book! I put it on hold :) I keep hearing about beet ravioli, I'll have to try that once beets are back at the CSA!

Michal said...

Your presentation is beautiful. :)

Isle Dance said...

Oh.My.Gosh. Slurp.

Cathy said...

lovely! I just found your blog and I'm so glad that I did! I love it :)

wildcherry said...

Fantastic! :)

Lis said...

I've ben dying for this dish after I tried it from Rawberts in Beverly, Ma. Thanks for the inspiration...the pine nuts are soaking now!! I have precooked beets from trader joes and hope those can work! I'm also without rosemary but hope that's ok! We'll see! If only my hubby would enjoy these with me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails