7/31/09

Salsa Finta and Almond Polpetta over Angel Hair Pasta

....or, spaghetti and meatballs!

Last night, I made my family regular spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. Usually I am not tempted to eat what I make for everyone else, but I love angel hair pasta:) To ease my craving, I did have a tiny bowl of the pasta, but for lunch today, I made Russell James' Salsa Finta & Almond Polpetta. This really satisfied my craving, and it was nice to know I could enjoy as much as I wanted:) Please visit the link for the recipe from his blog:)

What can I say...the man is a genius :)

Salsa Finta & Almond Polpetta


First, you make the Salsa Finta, as you need a small amount to put into the Polpetta (meatballs). It blends up in a flash, the perfect mix of dried and fresh tomato, oil, basil, garlic, lemon juice and a touch of sweetener. I omitted the small amount of water, because my tomatoes were very juicy and I usually prefer a thicker sauce.

The Polpetta are prepared in the food processor. Sprouted almonds mixed with 1/4 cup of the Salsa Finta, nutritional yeast, salt, lemon juice, parsley, Italian herbs and onion (I used chives). The moist mixture is formed into small balls and dehydrated to perfection for several hours. The outside was crisp, while the inside remained soft and moist. When ready, you mix the Polpetta with the remaining Salsa Finta.

Russell serves this over greens and zucchini ribbon pasta, but since I wanted the more traditional spaghetti and meatballs, I spiralized a medium sized turnip. I am always amazed when I see the long strands of my "pasta" come out of that little spiralizer:) I mix them with a drizzle of olive oil, and a few grinds of pink salt to soften, like you do with rawvioli:)

Once again, I want to thank The Raw Chef Russell James for the recipe.

2 comments:

bitt said...

seen this a few places and i must try it! when i am done juicing for about a week.

evergreen said...

Hi bitt!
This recipe is wonderful, and really "hit the spot"!
Good luck with your juice feast. I am due for one myself:)
Angela

Related Posts with Thumbnails