10/9/09

Halloween6....I Scream!!!

As promised, I am back with another freaky, fruity, raw, and healthy treat for Halloween.

Please check out my main post on Healthy Raw Halloween Recipes for all the treats you don't have to be afraid of enjoying this Halloween!

This one is so simple, and again, can be made a head:) of time.

Banana I Scream

Ingredient:)
7-8 ripe organic bananas

Preparation:

1. Peel and slice bananas into about 1 inch chunks. Place banana slices in a freezer-safe container or zip top bag. Freeze about 6 hours or overnight.

2. Place frozen banana into food processor fitted with "S" blade. Pulse to start breaking down banana, then process until light and creamy. You will have to stop and scrape down a few times.

3. Fill mold and tap on counter to allow mixture to fill smaller indentations. I wasn't as careful as I could have been, but it still looked fine. Next time I would fill in the teeth cavity:) first using a spoon instead of a huge scoop.



4. Freeze until solid, about 6-8 hours. Overnight is better. This can be made days in advance and kept in freezer until serving.

To un-mold, rub over outside of frozen mold with a clean towel wrung out in very hot water, or carefully pass under warm water for a second to loosen. Gently press out onto serving platter. You can smooth over any rough spots with a clean finger. If using a silicone mold, just pop out, no need to warm.

The only trick to this treat is that you need to purchase a mold for the I Scream.
Wilton made the one I used today, and there is also a silicone mold with 6 individual cavities:) These are available at Michaels craft stores.

This can be made using any white(ish) ice cream recipe. I used the incredibly easy banana ice cream first made popular by Alissa Cohen in Living on Live Food (p. 516). When I first tried it a few years ago, I was so surprised how much it tasted like ice cream! It was the inspiration for my favorite variation, Triple Thick Chocolate Shake:)

Another suggestion is to fill the mold with blended young coconut (meat and water). Float coconut ice skull in a punch bowl filled with green smoothie. It will keep the smoothie cold, and add delicious flavor!

I was happy to see this banana ice cream idea enjoy a new popularity when the lovely Gena blogged about it. I love the title of her post, and check out the response she got from it!!!

I was also really happy to see T.V. foodie Rachael Ray make a variation of it as well. I love when I see raw food go mainstream:)

I'll be back next week with more healthy raw Halloween treats!

7 comments:

badash said...

I LOVE IT! this is great. haha.

Joanna Steven said...

OMG! You rock!

evergreen said...

Thanks badash and Joanna:)

bitt said...

now i am just terrified.

Joyce said...

So fun and creative! Love it!

evergreen said...

LOL@bitt!

Thanks Joyce...you may all have to come over and help me eat these treats!!:)

Air Fryer Recipes said...

Thanks ggreat blog post

Related Posts with Thumbnails